Details of the Event
from 930 to 1899 AD
The Saxons had established a priory in
Cranborne in what later became the vicarage garden.
Cranborne was known as Creneburne in Domesday
records which recorded it as one of the Kings
Manors. Cranborne takes its name from the river
which winds its was through Pentridge and Verwood to
the Moors Valley where it changes its name..
From this date Cranborne Chase was acquired
by the Crown when King John hunted.
In 1220 STEPHEN'S STONE was recorded
as "LE HORESTONE" and was a
boundary point in this area so could be a BOUNDARY
STONE. - Legend has it that STEPHEN'S STONE, a
solitary block of stone in WILD CHURCH BOTTOM has
a GOLDEN CASKET beneath it. It is said that it
measures 6M X 3M X 3M approx.
was first recorded as Beubos or “Beau
VERWOOD was first recorded. It was
developed from FAIRWOODE, FAYRWOOD, WRTWOOD &
It is believed that the Black Death
was brought into Weymouth in a foreign ship.
Verwood was mentioned in a charter dated the 8th
December 1377 as “Fairwoode”
though the name of its Norman landowners the “Beau
Bois” family of Edmondsham is recorded earlier in 1288.
The Norman Lord, William de Bello Bosco or Beau Boys had used the
Latin or Old French translation of the locality for his surname
In the 1377 charter "all the lands, tenements, meadows, woodland,
heath, marsh, pasture, rents and services" which William de
Bello Bosco held in Fairwoode, to named persons. Fairwood continued
as the official name into the 19th century when it evolved into Verwood.
A strange ball on the tomb of Sir Anthony
Ashley in Church at Wimborne St Giles represents a
Cabbage which he introduced from Holland in 1539.
The first Cabbage grown in England was in the
kitchen garden at St Giles House.
A fire occurred in Blandford which
destroyed records of the area. (inc Verwood)
Cranborne Chase transferred from the
to the Throne, the Duke of Monmouth, landed
on the beach at Lyme Regis with around 80 men.
link for full story).
Another serious fire occurred in
Blandford which destroyed many more records in
the area. This followed the 1579 fire and two
smaller fires in 1676 and 1713. Unidentified
children orphaned by these fires were given the
The eighteenth century brought with
it the building of many turnpike roads. By
1756 there were several turnpike roads from Poole
Gate into Cranborne Chase.
By this time two more turnpike roads were
established in the area, from Winchester through
Romsey, Ringwood, Longham to Wimborne Minster and
from Ringwood through Woolsbridge, Horton and
Thickhorne to Cashmore.
Cranborne was found on the high road from
London to the west and a turnpike road from Poole
Gate to Salisbury was established by Act of
Parliament in the reign of George III and a
milestone can still be seen on the roadside between
Toyd Farm and the Blandford-Salisbury road marking
The first CONGREGATIONAL
CHURCH (now the U.R.C.) was established but there appears
no information of the site of this building.
mud walled Chapel of
Ease in the parish of Cranborne was erected and consecrated on the site of the
The Church of England Infant School
was established as a National
when school was held in the church.
A Church of England Infant School room
to accommodate one hundred and twenty children and a
school house were built at a cost of two hundred and
sixty pound. John Carnegie (Vicar of Cranborne
1841-72) had the schoolroom built.
from Salisbury to the coast arrived in Verwood and was part of the
branch of the
London and South West Railway.
It was a single track line with a passing loop at
Verwood Station. This was a small station situated
on the south side of the Albion Inn. The bridge can
still be seen.
The Anglican Parish Church added a
brick Chancel to the existing church.
A Primitive Methodist Church was
built on the present site.
(It was replaced in 1909)
The second CONGREGATIONAL
CHURCH was built as
the previous 1802 building had "fallen
into decay and was deemed unsafe". This is
now the Verwood Library.
The present Woodlands
foundation stone was laid on
8th May 1879
and the building opened in opened on the 23rd
October. The land was acquired for £10 on a 21year
lease and the total cost of the new building was
The non-conformist day classes becomes the
The Anglican Parish Church was in a state of
disrepair and the galleries unsafe. These were taken down and the nave
using local Verwood bricks.
Verwood created a Parish severing
its long association with Cranborne.
The United Reformed Church in
Ringwood Road, 3X, opened its present Church.
Kelly's Dorsetshire Directory, 1895 records
the 1891 population of Verwood at 1,190.
A new chancel and vestry were built in the Verwood Anglican Parish Church,
the cost being met by the Reverend Claude Brown M.A.
College, Oxford), and the churchyard was also
A daughter Anglican
Parish Church was built at Three Legged Cross (All
Saints). It was built of corrugated Iron and was known as the tin
The Verwood Anglican Parish
nave and western baptistry were dedicated together
with the west porch and bell turret. A memorial
marble font with a curved oak cover was added
together with a wrought iron screen round the font
and one at the chancel.
Verwood became a Civic Parish.
The last meeting of the Cranborne Vestry
responsible for Cranborne and Verwood was held.
The first elections for the newly formed Verwood
Parish Council were held. We know because
the Verwood National School Log Book (held in the
Dorchester) records the school as being
closed for that purpose on that day