Restynge House was built by the first Vicar of Verwood, the
Rev. Claude Brown around the turn of the century as a place
where travellers and visitors to Verwood could obtain
refreshment should they not wish to visit a Public House.
The photograph above shows the Restynge House in 1908. Just
visible on the left of the picture is St. Stephens Castle.
became popularly known as the Coffee Tavern and after the
First World War it was enlarged at the back to provide space
for a Men's Clubroom with a large billiard table and
dartboard. It was also used as the Church Hall and the first
doctor's surgery in Verwood was held there.
the 2nd World War war it was an A.R.P. station and the
windows were sandbagged. For a few years in the early '50's
it was also used in the daytime as an intake classroom for
the schools, children going from there to the Church School.
building was sold by the Church on 25th March 1960 and the
money used to improve the then Church School. It was
purchased by Mr. Bailey and became his new showroom as can
be seen below.
Restynge House was demolished, with much opposition, in 1989
and the Shop & flats complex was opened in April
1990. Note that Baileys moved into the new premises at the
opposite end of the new building. The picture below was
taken in the summer of 2005.